Workshop
Ask a question

How to revive potted Pittosporum plants?

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

How to revive potted Pittosporum plants?

Hi all and happy holidays.

20230102_175506.jpg

I bought a few Screenmaster Pittosporum hedges a few weeks back which I was planning to plant in the new year.

20230102_175533.jpg

However the heat got to them while we were away and they seem to have suffered pretty badly.

20230102_175454.jpg

Does anyone have advice on how I may be able to revive these ? Looks like some younger leaves are still alive but most of the rest are dry and falling off or just hanging on.

Kind regards 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Reviving Pittosporum

Oh geez @diy_hausdesigns  Sorry this has happened. Unfortunately with potted plants in the warmer months this can unfortunately happen. Don’t give up though. Best to keep them well watered, hand watered daily. Give them all a good drenching of Seasol as that will help with the shock. It will take time to recover and hopefully they will. When you are ready to plant them into the ground, make you you add plenty of soil improver into each planting hole. Mulch each one and then soak them with Seasol and a Wetting Agent to help reduce transplant shock. Fingers crossed hopefully this will help to recover them. This is just my opinion on what I would do with them ☺️ 

Thanks @mich1972 

I'm keen to bring them back (if I can) even if it takes a while so I'll be taking your advice.

Would trimming them back a bit help ? I assume this means they don't have to work as hard to feed the whole plant, which gives them a better chance to revive.

Cheers again 

----

Hi @diy_hausdesigns,

we had a similar experience with freshly planted waterhouseias. Some lost a lot of leaves. We watered them daily and they’re coming back now. 
I’d put the pots into a water bath (bathtub will do) for a few days so they can soak in all the moisture they need. Then proceed as @mich1972 suggested. 

I wouldn’t prune them too hard as it will expose the undergrowth to the sun and that can burn as well. 

@TheHandySqirrel  Waterbath sounds good 😊

Hi @TheHandySqirrel  and @mich1972 

Thank you both. I'll take on your advise and see how we go 😊

Really appreciate the help and fingers crossed they come back to life 

Cheers 

----

It's great to see that you've already had some helpful advice, @diy_hausdesigns.

Whilst you're soaking them, add a diluted dose of Seasol to the water. I recommend mixing it up at a quarter to half the recommended rate.

Please keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to revive potted Pittosporum plants?

Hi @MitchellMc @mich1972 @TheHandySqirrel 

Looks like we are slowly making progress on 4 of my 6 plants.  the other 2 don't look so lucky.

32C6D31D-4743-442D-BEC1-25A9F565ACD2.jpeg

Thanks again

Regards 

----

Re: How to revive potted Pittosporum plants?

Hello @diy_hausdesigns

It's good to hear that you've managed to bring back 4 of the 6 plants. I hope the other two will recover as well.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects