Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove winter grass in sir Walter Buffalo lawn?

amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

How to remove winter grass in sir Walter Buffalo lawn?

Best method of removal to prevent return/spreading?

1000009702.jpg1000009703.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove winter grass in sir Walter Buffalo lawn?

Hello @amichaelmedia 

Thanks for sharing your question about about removing winter grass. 

The two basic methods in controlling them are to either physically remove and dig them out or apply a chemical weed killer. For manual removal, I suggest using Fiskars 4 Prongs Xact Weed Puller

Please note that when using a weed killer, it's important to follow the application instructions. For example, the Yates 1L 490g/L Zero Weed Killer Super Concentrate is for direct application only. It must not be sprayed directly on your turf as it will eliminate anything it is sprayed on. I suggest using Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves, goggles and a Citeco Half Face Respirator A1P2 Kit. Please make sure to follow all the safety guidelines printed at the back of the container.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

1000009840.jpg

1000009839.jpg

1000009838.jpg

1000009837.jpg

After a manual removal w ith the r  ecommended tool, Ive noticed more pop up. 

I put on another round of oxafert. 

But should I use the weed killer? Or is there other sir Walter buffalo friendly weed killer I could use?

Hi @amichaelmedia,

Removing the winter grass including the roots is the best way to get rid of it, but if you are finding it an ongoing problem, you might like to consider using Munns Professional 2.4L Winter Grass Killer Weed Control. This will give you an easier solution that can be sprayed on to control the winter grass. 

It is specially formulated to be safe on common lawn types, including buffalo, kikuyu and couch. Ensure you follow all manufacturer's instructions for use and wear all necessary personal protective equipment including gloves and a mask.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects