Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level backyard and install artificial turf?

mkh1991
Finding My Feet

How to level backyard and install artificial turf?

Hey everyone,

I've just finished building my new home and am eager to transform my backyard into a beautiful outdoor space. The first step is leveling the ground, which is a bit uneven due to the construction process.

I'm planning to install artificial grass once the ground is level.

I'm looking for advice, tips, and recommendations on:

• Leveling the backyard: What's the best approach for a DIYer? Any essential tools or equipment I should invest in?
  • Choosing the right artificial grass: What factors should I consider when selecting artificial turf?
  • Installation process: Any specific techniques or precautions to follow?
    I'd love to hear your experiences and suggestions. Feel free to share any pictures of your backyard transformations as well!

Thanks in advance for your help!

20240808_162356.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to level backyard and install artificial turf?

Hi @mkh1991,

Congratulations on your new home! I trust it's an exciting time filled with plans to make it yours.

First, assess the area and identify high and low spots. Tools like a shovel, rake, and level are essential, but for larger areas or if there is considerable material to shift, consider renting machinery or employing the services of a professional. While levelling, it's important to determine if drainage is needed and install it now to prevent future water retention issues. If the land falls towards your house, then it's important to capture any water that might flow towards foundations and divert it to stormwater. This might be as simple as installing an Agi-line around the perimeter of your home.

Consider pile height, density, material, and backing when choosing artificial grass. A thicker pile height offers a natural look, and higher density provides a fuller appearance. The Tuff Turf 3.75 x 1m Luxury Synthetic Turf is a real winner here and effectively mimics real grass.

For installation, start by excavating to a depth of 70-100mm and create a compacted base of crushed rock. Add a thin layer of sharp sand, then lay out and trim the turf to fit. Secure it with U-pins or turf pegs, brush up the blades, and add infill if needed. Also, consider a weed barrier to prevent growth beneath the turf.  Regular brushing and occasional rinsing will keep your artificial grass looking fresh and inviting, creating a beautiful, low-maintenance outdoor space. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to lay artificial turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects