Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to help our lemon tree?

belle987
Just Starting Out

How to help our lemon tree?

IMG_1188.jpeg

Only noticed this autumn, we moved into this house 12 months ago, the lemon tree is situated in an orchard with other fruiting trees. 

IMG_1189.jpeg

IMG_1191.jpeg

   

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to help our lemon tree?

Hi @belle987,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'm not 100% certain what the issue is but it looks like this tree might have a fungal issue such as citrus black spot or brown rot.

My suggestion would be to remove and destroy any of the affected fruit or stems so the nutrients in the soil are not being directed to dying parts of the tree. 

Once the affected parts are removed and destroyed, monitor the tree to see if anything comes back. If this is the case, a copper-based fungicide such as Yates Liquid Copper Fungicide should be applied to the tree following the manufacturers instructions for use.

Allow me to tag our resident garden guru @Noelle to see if they have any advice.

You might also like to check out How To Grow And Care For a Lemon Tree.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to help our lemon tree?

Hi @belle987 

As well as the possible disease and nutrition issues Jacobz has referred to, the leaves are showing significant signs of lack of moisture. Citrus have shallow root systems so need regular watering to keep them healthy. Leaf curl like that in your photos is very typical of lack of moisture in the soil - the grass also looks quite dry.

Remove and dispose of all affected parts of the tree in spring, when frosts are unlikely to damage soft new growth, water deeply over the growing period from September to March and apply copper-based treatments as per the label instructions to minimise disease incursions.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects