Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of this weed?

hivis
Just Starting Out

How to get rid of this weed?

 Can anyone tell me what weed is the and how to get rid of it.

1000014012.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to get rid of this weed?

My sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your question, @hivis. It's been a busy time on the site and I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to respond as soon as he can.

Let me also call upon our wonderful and knowledgeable garden experts @Noelle and @mich1972 for their thoughts.

Many thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @hivis 

Looks suspiciously like creeping oxalis to me!  This particular weed has above and beneath ground running stems which means it spreads rapidly to cover large areas. Unlike most other oxalis, it doesn't have deep bulbous roots or produce hundreds of tiny bulbils that break off and stay in the soil when you try to dig the weed out.

Control can be difficult because of its running nature.  If you can fund the original plants by tracing runners back, the plants are quite easy to remove with a pronged weeder but, and it is a big BUT, you need to remove all the running stems as well because any small sections left can take root.

This weed can also be controlled with any of the usual non-residual weedkillers but if it is entwined among other plants, that can be difficult because these products are normally non-selective.  That means you must take great care not to get any of the weedkiller on other plants you want to retain.

On paths or other bare areas, dowsing with boiling water will kill the plant.

As with most weeds, persistence is the key to eradication - it may take several treatments over a period of up to six months to control this weed in garden beds.

If creeping oxalis appears in your lawn, then spot spray with a broadleaf lawn weedkiller (one designed for the control of bindii will usually be effective.

Always read labels carefully and follow the instructions given. If required, make sure you wear gloves and a mask.

Finally, if usi8ng a lawn weeding product, check the label to ensure it is safe to use on your particular type of grass!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see that @Noelle has provided some wonderful information @hivis

Just to provide some links, to kill it and, unfortunately, anything around it that gets sprayed, that would be any Glyphosate-based product like Round-Up. Or for lawn weeding, you could use a product like Yates 250ml BuffaloPro Selective Bindii And Broadleaf Weed Killer Concentrate.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects