Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover a retaining wall with timber?

DCostello
Just Starting Out

How to cover a retaining wall with timber?

Hi, I have a retaining wall that I would like to cover with timber and I'm looking for some suggestions, as I spend my summer weeding it. These are two ideas i have but with concerns.

If I was to put vertical fence posts in the ground in front of the retaining wall then would digging holes for the poles weaken the foundation of the retaining wall?

Similarly if i was to bolt horizontal lats on the retaining wall and then cover with vertical pailings then would drilling holes in the concrete impact the retaining wall too?

Any other ideas or comments on my ideas are much appreciated. Photo of the retaining wall attached. 

1000057378.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover a retaining wall with timber?

Hi @DCostello,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

With a retaining wall of this size, it is a good idea to be extremely cautious as the weight of the soil it is holding back would be considerable and any water held within this soil would increase the load applied to the wall.

For this reason, I wouldn't suggest applying slats directly to the wall as this will limit its ability to drain. The retaining wall would have been designed and installed with specific drainage requirements that should not be changed without consideration and consultation with an engineer.

Digging holes to install fence posts could affect the foundation slightly, but if you have them around 300mm back from the retaining wall, the effect would be minimal and once backfilled, would return to normal.

I would consider building a freestanding structure. Something more along the lines of a fence.

Allow me to tag @Dave-1, @Noyade and @Nailbag for their thoughts.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects