Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach shadecloth to the top of a staggered Colorbond fence?

MinnieMon
Just Starting Out

How to attach shadecloth to the top of a staggered Colorbond fence?

Recently we had to cut down our camellias on the North side of the house as they were diseased. Which has now left us exposed to a very open windows space facing north. Previously the cameelias were quite high and gave us shade.

I have about 7.5 meters of eaves, on which I would like to attach some shade cloth to stretch across maybe 1.5m to attach to a colourbond fence. As our land has a slight slope upwards towards the back, the fence is staggered.

How best should I attach firstly the shade cloth to the eaves and then how to attach each piece to secure it to the fence. As it is quite a long eave, I suggest 3 or maybe even 4 separate pieces may be required.

It would need to be something I can detach in Winter so we can have light and sun in our living room.

Thank you for your advice.

I am currntly looking at having the eaves replaced as they are worn and damaged weatherboards. Is there anything you suggest I ask the person who will eventually repair them to attach to the bottom of the eaves to help secure the shade cloth ?

EavesEavesstaggered colourbond fencestaggered colourbond fenceGap between eaves and fenceGap between eaves and fence

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach shadecloth to the top of a staggered Colorbond fence?

Hello @MinnieMon 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about attaching shade cloth to your Colorbond fence.

Before you begin, I suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council regarding the installation of shade cloth/sail in your backyard. My only concern is the size as it is 7 meters long. 

Shade sails along with shade cloth both tend to act like sails and generate a great deal of force when the wind pushes on them. Unfortunately, Colorbond fencing is not strong enough to hold them as it will either tear the anchor off or damage your fence in the process.

I suggest using timber posts spread evenly along the seven-meter length run to hold the shade cloth in place. As for the other side, under your eave is the roof framing. I propose installing a timber piece to the roofing frame, this will serve as the anchor point for the shade sail. 

I've sketched up a basic layout to give you an idea of how it can be put together. If you wish to be able to remove the shade cloth in winter, I suggest putting in eyelets in the shade cloth in combination with carabiners and eye hooks.  

If you are having a builder coming over to repair your eave, I suggest showing them the idea and asking them if anchoring under the eave onto the roofing frame is viable.

Here are some excellent discussions about mounting shade on a Colorbond fence:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects