Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ag pipe or pvc pipe for connection to stormwater?

rayz85
Just Starting Out

Ag pipe or pvc pipe for connection to stormwater?

Hi all, new to this platform and need some help on what pipe is suitable to make 2 additional drainages and connect them to existing storm water. The place I am planning to run the pipes Ag or pvc is at the end of Alfresco where grass starts. Its the area where I have removed part of the grass and put few pavers and pebbles arounds so pipes will be running underneath. So what is the more suitable pipe Ag of PVC or either can do the job? Thanks in advance. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ag pipe or pvc pipe

Hi @rayz85,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fabulous to have you with us.

Generally speaking, agi pipe such as this Vinidex 100mm x 20m Socked Slotted Draincoil, is used to collect groundwater, so if the area gets particularly boggy when wet, agi pipe is likely the way to go.

As PVC pipes do not collect groundwater like agi pipe does, there needs to be an input to the PVC pipe for it to be useful. This is oftentimes the downpipes from your gutters. If the drainage is to be connected to the downpipes, PVC is the way to go.

Please keep in mind that you can do the groundwork and lay the pipe, but the final connection to your stormwater is considered plumbing work that a suitably licensed plumber must carry out.

You might like to check out How to install garden drainage for some guidance. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects