Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What glue to use in guitar restoration?

Jockinese
Just Starting Out

What glue to use in guitar restoration?

I’m repairing an old guitar and unfortunately the bridge is broken so I need to repair it.(No replacement parts available) . It’s made from Ebony and cedar and has come apart, so I have to glue it together. Obviously it needs a very strong bond and I would like to know what is the best glue to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: guitar restoration

Hello @Jockinese 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about restoring your guitar.

In order to give our members a better idea of the condition of the bridge of the guitar, would it be possible for you to post few pictures of the damage at different angels? This will allow us to make recommendations on possible repair steps to take in order to restore the bridge. 

A common repair technique used when getting timber to attach themselves together is clamping. When combined with adhesive it makes the timber come together just like when making a chopping board from different wood panels. But we should be able to offer more ideas once we see the guitar.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mattcabs
Finding My Feet

Re: What glue to use in guitar restoration?

Hey buddy, if you're still looking for a good wood glue I'd recommend one call titebond 1. As used by guitar manufacturers like Gibson.

1000200082.jpg

Unfortunately Bunnings doesn't stock it but it is available online.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects