Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need recommendations for a drill driver set

Ange11
Growing in Experience

Need recommendations for a drill driver set

Hi Guys & Gals I need your recommendations on a good quality drill driver set pz but Not Ryobi's 40 piece set its rubbish.

tyia

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need recommendations for a drill driver set

Hi @Dave-1 

I've run into this situation before, and my friends gave me a hard time about it as they hid the drill press guide so that I would have to drill the holes manually. Despite using a steel punch, the drill bit would catch on the asymmetrically curved surface of the pipe work I was drilling into. It would wobble and catch the sides as there was no guide. Eventually the drill press guide magically appeared, and I managed to finish my work, but not before ruining 2 access holes and a drill bit.

It might be possible to build a timber drilling guide to prevent the drill bit and drill from wobbling or leaning if you are only doing a few holes. But accessibility and space availability are some of the key things you'll need to contend with.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

HI @Ange11 

Just another tip, is to consider a drill bit set that has a reduced shank for bits over 10mm, even though your drill might have a 13mm chuck, I have been caught out helping a mate out needing a 12mm hole which he had a bit for, but didn't fit his 10mm drill.

Nailbag

IMG_9989.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Dave. @Dave-1 

"Any suggestions to throw in on how to drill gun metal (The hole had to be 1/2")"

I'm familiar with the 'wrench' you mentioned on the other page - especially beyond the 12mm diameter as the cutting edges 'grab' the back of the metal. I related to you how years ago I destroyed a small electric drill with a 10mm bit which shattered at that same moment with cogs and gears rolling down the driveway. This was drilling in the vertical plane.

My solution after that experience - was to acquire bigger and heavier drills to counter that 'wrench' - and with very low RPM. I bought a variety from Sunday markets and swap meets.

At the top of the one seen below you can install a length of threaded gal pipe.

Plenty of drawbacks. Big, heavy and I am distrustful of all-metal machines (even a metal trigger fitted) electrically. But there were no further issues with big drill bits.

Acquiring the drill-press and using lubricants have tended to solve most problems these days, Dave. But then, I've never drilled bollards.

Cheers mate!

20240912_084929.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Noyade 

I pretty much ended up with a bigger heavy duty drill as well lol I also would wedge it against my leg so the spiining couldnt happen, tho it still tried. There was no way I colud lift the bollards to get them near any drill press as they were solid (meant to stop dockyard workers from damaging the phone service inside lol) 

On a side note it was my task to repair if possible the drills that broke (very few were able to be as they all had plastic bearing mounts and that was what would crack)

Thank you for confiming tho :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects