Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add an extra flat heavy duty bracket to garage?

fcjoseph
Getting Established

How to add an extra flat heavy duty bracket to garage?

Hi All, 

I am trying to use my garage’s existing flat bracket as one of the support for a shelving( which uses top part between garage sliding guides). Could anyone advise where I can get similar flat brackets as well as what kind of fasteners I should use to support it to the wall. Also is it safe to add such a bracket and load to the garage door. Attached few images below Garage Shelf -expectation_1.jpgGarage Shelf -expectation_2.jpg 

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to add an extra flat heavy duty bracket to garage

Hi @fcjoseph 

If you want to match the bracket, then simply Google "Garage Door Brackets" But if your not fussed any stayed bracket from Bunnings positioned so the top was level with the other bracket would work as it doesn't need to attach to the garage door arm. This is something you should avoid anyway as its important the arm remains straight and not bent under weight which could cause the door rollers to fail.

The bracket would need to be fixed to the wall where there was a stud for strength then 10+ GA wood screws would be suitable. And I would be keeping the load to a bare minimum.

Nailbag

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add an extra flat heavy duty bracket to garage

Hello @fcjoseph 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Nailbag. I totally agree with his recommendations, if you are looking for large brackets, I suggest the Carinya 200 x 250 x 25 x 6mm Heavy Duty Manhattan Angle Bracket - single - Black. There are larger sizes available, I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at what's available. Please remember to mount the brackets only on the timber studs and not just the plaster wall.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects