Workshop
Ask a question

What's the best screw for hollow door?

Mak5526
Community Newcomer

What's the best screw for hollow door?

We have a hollow bathroom sliding door. I screw this latch to it but now came loose. 

What's the best screw to re attach this to the door. 

1000083935.jpg

1000083936.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: what's the best screw for hollow door.

Evening @Mak5526 

Would you consider a sliding door latch? They're not that hard to install.

Just a thought.

Cheers!

20240930_182612.jpg

Mak5526
Community Newcomer

I do have tht privacy lock installed  installed, but can be locked only from inside. I have a Husky and she can slide the door and loves to rip the paper roles apart. So I installed the latch. Lol 

1000083980.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mak5526,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's great to see you've already received some advice from @Noyade.

The problem I am seeing is not because of the screw, it is because of the location of the screw. A hollow core door like yours has a timber stile that runs vertically along the right and left sides of the door. This stile is usually only around 30mm wide. See the below example taken from Hume Doors website.

If the screws for your latch are not hitting this stile, the screw will only be held in place by a thin, roughly 2-3mm MDF veneer. If you move the location of the screws over so they are solidly in the stile, you won't have as much trouble with them pulling out. 

Unless you could find a way to attach the cabin hook closer to the edge of the door, you may be better off replacing it with something like this Taskmaster 38mm Chrome Plated Barrel Bolt at the top or bottom of the door.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects