Workshop
Ask a question

How to stop small flies in bathroom?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to stop small flies in bathroom?

Hello Members,

I hope this message finds you well.

Recently, I've noticed a small fly appearing in my bathroom, specifically in the shower I use daily. In contrast, I haven't seen this fly in the other shower, which I don't use as often.

Please refer to the image below. I zoomed in on the photo to enlarge the image of the fly. In reality, it is approximately the size of a sesame seed.I apologize for the image quality; it appears a bit blurry when zoomed in.

Despite my efforts to remove them with toilet roll paper, they seem to return the next day. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Additionally, are there any products available at Bunnings that could help control this fly?

nagumuthu_0-1725104831439.png

Thank you for your assistance!

Best regards.
MM

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Small fly in Bathroom

Hi @nagumuthu,

Thank you for your question.

You can use a spray such as Hovex Fast Knockdown Odourless Flying Insect Spray, or a long term barrier spray such as this Yates 750ml Home Pest Long Term Control Barrier Spray

You could also use an attachable flyscreen kit such as this Pillar 160 x 200cm Black Magnetic Flyscreen Door Curtain to prevent them from getting into the bathroom.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Hello @JacobZ 

Thanks for the advice.

We dont have any windows in the bathroom. Wondering on what type of insect it is and the source of its origin. Any clues you have looking at the image.

Looks like a drain fly to me. They live and breed in your drain. Try some carb soda, white vinegar and pour lots of boiling water down your shower drain. I have had them in my ensuite too, hope this helps.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nagumuthu,

I reckon @Jenni24 is right on the money there. 

Follow their advice and you should be on the right track.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects