Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace a bathroom floor waste?

Jaded62
Just Starting Out

How to replace a bathroom floor waste?

Hi,

This 110mm chrome floor waste is badly corroded.  I need to replace both the grate and the body.  How do I remove the existing drain body?

Cheers.

20240628_145335.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replace a bathroom floor waste

Hello @Jaded62 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your bathroom floor waste.

Removing the old waste is a bit involved as it requires the grout and part of the tiles to be removed. Unfortunately, it's not a straightforward swap over as the waste might be anchored with adhesive. It will be necessary to get to that adhesive in order to remove the waste.

I suggest engaging the services of a licensed plumber and requesting for a quote on how much it will cost to replace the bathroom floor waste. In this manner the repair will be done to code and covered under the plumber's warranty.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jaded62
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the quick reply Eric.

It is only the corroded grate and out ring I need to replce, not the waste itself.  Couldn't I use a dremmel tool with a grout bit to remove the grout around the outer ring, the pull that out and replace it, the re-grout?

Cheers.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jaded62,

Apologies, I believe @EricL thought you meant removing the waste pipe beneath.

The method you've described should certainly be doable without the assistance of a plumber.

Once the grate assembly is removed, you can replace it with one of a matching size such as this Kinetic 100mm Chrome Plated Round Floor Grate and grout it in place with some Dunlop Ready-To-Go Coloured Grout in a matching colour.

You might like to have a read of How to remove and replace waste drain? for a similar example.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects