Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Powder room renovation suggestions wanted

nerdykins
Just Starting Out

Powder room renovation suggestions wanted

C17F159A-629B-499A-9522-635336172F98.jpeg

Hi team! 

Longtime lurker and dreamer, first time poster :smile:

So I have this power room downstairs that I’d like to update however everything in my house is always odd sizing or too hard. 
Wall to wall is 880mm - the built in cabinet is 800mm.

(the doors are off because I’m going to paint them however I’d prefer new doors - I like the shaker style, but my current doors are shorter than the kaboodle ones)

The new cabinet sizes seem to be 750 or 900 :unhappy: 

I feel like I’d like something new as everything is built horribly. 
id like a new basin, as this one is quite large at 520x420.

any suggestions would be appreciated! 🙏🏻 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Powder room renovation suggestions wanted

It's great to see you make your first post, @nerdykins and a belated welcome to the community!

You'd possibly need to look at having something custom-built to fit in the 880mm space snuggly. Alternatively, you could offset a 750mm vanity to one side and use the additional 130mm for toilet roll or towel storage. To replace the cabinet, you'll likely need to remove the benchtop and the tiles set on top of it. It will be a bit of work to replace the cabinet, but well worth it if you're after something new. How horribly built is the vanity cabinet? You might be able to use longer Kaboodle doors still, as there is no bottom edge of your cabinet carcass that would restrict the length of the door. So, you'd be able to have a door from the bench down to near the floor.

Have a look at this helpful guide on How to build a custom bathroom vanity. In such a small space, I like the idea of switching to a round basin sink and shifting it into the corner. That would provide a decent bench space. You might also like to check out our Top 10 most popular bathroom renovation projects for inspiration.

Let me mention some of our members that have contributed amazing bathroom renovations @homeinmelbourne, @daniknight4 and @annettespanski to see if they have some input.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nerdykins 

It's great to see that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at the Kaboodle cabinet base. I understand that it is not 880mm, but it is taller and that means that you'll not have to bend over too much when using the vanity basin. Plus you can order the Alpine doors which have the shaker profile that you are after. 

I've placed a sketch below with notes on what you need to look out for should you decide to use the Kaboodle cabinet. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

nerdy vanity1.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Hi @nerdykins 

It was suggested by one of the team members to comment on your makeover, but I don't really like to give advice too much as when we did our ultra cheap bathroom reno we were just flying by the seat of our pants and didn't really know what we were doing😁😂

In saying that we were super pleased with the result, and to be honest it was mostly paint, wall and tile.

We are not renovators, so we didn't even consider removing our vanity, we actually covered the stained white laminate with a lovely wood look laminate, and I mean we basically just measured it and plonked it on top of the existing one. 

We also replaced our basin with an above countertop one but a small size, some of the larger ones are just too big.

If you don't want to actually start demolishing your little space, I'm thinking you could do similar by just upcycling, paint your backsplash, place a new bench on top of the existing - you could even paint it with the tile and laminate paint if you were on an ultra budget - and insert a smaller more sink.

As for the cabinet doors, ours were already there so we painted them, they were atrocious before this, and that did the job, but I guess you could get some cut to size or bunnings may even have some that would fit if you're lucky or even try your luck on the facebook marketplace.

A lovely round mirror would make the space look more modern and updated.

And I think in such a small space, even in bigger ones, just keep it simple and uncluttered, although there's always room for lovely pink faux flowers🤣.

These are all things you could do easily and cheaply.

This may not be the kind of advise you meant but I hope it's given you a little inspiration🙂

I do have some pictures and a link to a video on our makeover, I hesitate to call it a renovation, on my profile too.

Have fun!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects