Workshop
Ask a question

DIY small home laundry renovation

Nic_E
Getting Established

DIY small home laundry renovation

After years of watching home renovation shows, I decided to attempt my first 'big' DIY project, to revamp my very bland and dated small laundry.

I tried to maximise its functionality, storage and organisation within its small space footprint (3m x 1.5m) and added some much-needed colour!

Besides the new external door with an inbuilt venetian blind between its panes of glass, the biggest expense was the paint for all of the different surfaces - walls, tiles, laminate, trims, ceiling & doors.

Very happy with the final result, that actually inspires me to do laundry now!

Total cost approx. $1500.

Steps

Step 1

Emptied out the laundry and cleaned all of the surfaces. Removed the washer, dryer and appliances. Pulled up the existing laminate floor tiles and cleaned the floor.

Laundry 1.JPGLaundry 2.JPGLaundry 3.JPG

Step 2

Prime & painted all of the interior walls midnight blue, and the sink's backsplash tiles, the ceiling and the laminated benchtop all white, with 3 coats each. Added a new ceiling light fixture. Swapped out the sink wall tap set and spout.

Laundry 6.JPG

Step 3

Replaced the old external door with a new Corinthian door with an internal venetian blind between its two glass window panes. Primed it, then painted it white.

Laundry 5.JPGLaundry 8.JPG

Step 4

Cut and glued grey tiles to the floor. Grouted them and wiped the excess grout away. 

Step 5

Installed an overhead retractable clothesline, along the length of the laundry for maximum usage.

Step 6

Installed a new broom cupboard, in the vacant space next to the bench and upper and lower cupboards. Cut out a hole on the wall side within it, to access the powerpoint there.

Laundry 10.JPG

Step 7

Placed a bamboo cutting board over the sink for more 'bench' space to put a washing basket on, or to fold clothes. Added the extendable curtain rod between the dryer and the wall, tensioned it, then hung the wooden coat hangers. Brought in woven washing baskets, the ironing board & iron basket holder, laundry powder box, glass jars for laundry products, serving tray, wicker baskets, peg holder caddy, door stop, pictures, first aid box, artwork, faux plants and other accessories for styling. Added a magnetic caddy to the side of the washing machine for additional storage. And...voila!

Laundry 9.JPGLaundry 11.JPGLaundry 12.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My DIY renovated and revamped small home laundry

Hello @Nic_E 

That change of wall colour really has given the laundry room a different character. The bamboo cutting board and the laundry lines are excellent additions to your laundry room.

Many thanks for sharing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects