Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to unscrew stuck ceramic wall spindle

Algernon
Just Starting Out

How to unscrew stuck ceramic wall spindle

I pulled out the old spindles in the shower and after replacing  the tap seats using this Hydroseal kit, https://www.bunnings.com.au/hydroseal-tap-seat-replacement-kit_p4902119

I then installed two Shaw and mason 1/2 turn clockwise ceramic disc wall spindles.   https://www.bunnings.com.au/shaw-mason-1-2-turn-clockwise-chrome-plate-ceramic-disc-wall-spindle_p50...

Now I want to remove the hot tap spindle because the shower is leaking through the hot water line  (shower does not leak when the hot water is turned off outside at the tank).  But I can't get the spindle off.  Is there a special tool or technique that I need to know about? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to unscrew stuck ceramic wall spindle

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Algernon. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing tap spindles.

What tool are you currently using, and what exactly is the issue with removing the spindle? Is it that you are undoing the spindle's locking nut, but the spindle itself remains in the wall? Or, can you not undo the spindle and nut at all?

A tap spanner would be the appropriate tool for the job. If the tap spanner is undoing the adjustable locking nut off the spindle body and the spindle is left in the wall, then you can try to attach an adjustable spanner onto the top of the spindle body. There are generally two flat sides, as marked in the image below. Worst case scenario is that you attach vice-grips onto the spindle shaft or spline, which, when fully turned anti-clockwise, will engage the spindle's body and undo it. This is not recommended, though, and will certainly tear up the shaft and spline.

I look forward to hearing more information and assisting further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects