Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop pipe banging in the laundry?

alexmella
Community Newcomer

How to stop pipe banging in the laundry?

1000046314.jpg

Hi! I have a pipe issue in the laundry. When i hope the hot water from the washing machine tap or the laundry sink I can hear a pipe banging. The noise is very loud. I tried to cut small.piece of plasterboard and identify the hot water pipe, but i am not able to identify if and where the loose pipe is. This issue happens only when i turn on and off the hot water taps in the laundry but noy in the bathroom nor in the kitchen. So it seems an issue related to the hot water pipe that run from the roof into the wall of the laundry. I have also turned off the water heater to check if the same issue happen when the pipe is cold and the banging is the same. I am not sure how to locate the issue with precision. I would not like to avoid to cut all the plasterboard. I recprded a very short video with the sound but i cannot upload it here.  

If you can help me with your suggestion it would be really appreciated. Thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: pipe banging in the laundry

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @alexmella. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about banging pipes.

It sounds like you're dealing with a water hammer issue, which is common and can still happen even when pipes are properly secured. Water hammer occurs when a tap or valve is quickly closed, causing a sudden stop in water flow. The water's momentum creates a shockwave, which travels through the pipes and results in that loud banging sound. It can also cause the pipes to shudder when you open the tap, as the pressure surges through the system. Since it only happens with the hot water taps in your laundry, the issue is likely with that specific section of plumbing.

A water hammer arrestor could help resolve this. It's a small device that absorbs the shock and prevents the banging. It will need to be installed by a plumber, but it’s a relatively straightforward fix and they'll hopefully be able to install it through your cutout in the plaster. Getting this sorted should prevent further damage to your pipes and reduce the noise.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects