Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal timber dowel for use on bathroom vanity?

kateC1
Finding My Feet

How to seal timber dowel for use on bathroom vanity?

IMG_9683.png

Hello,

I’m contemplating upcycling a white gloss bathroom vanity with some half round timber dowel - similar to another project I saw on these discussion boards.

I’m wondering if I need to seal the timber dowel with anything, given that it’s in a wet area?

Thanks!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal timber dowel for use on bathroom vanity?

Hi @kateC1,

Thank you for your question on sealing timber dowels on a bathroom vanity and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

It's great to see you've had some inspiration from How To Upcycle A White Vanity and it's exciting to help you with your project.

You will need to seal the timber to prevent any moisture damage and rotting in the future. I suggest coating the timber with a clear polyurethane varnish such as Cabot's Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish. This will give the timber good protection while maintaining the natural appearance that looks so fantastic.

While a different circumstance, the process in How To Restore Wooden Furniture would be extremely similar to what you need to do to achieve the best results. I suggest giving this a read for some guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions and update us as the project commences, it would be fantastic to see what you come up with.

Jacob

Re: How to seal timber dowel for use on bathroom vanity?

Thanks Jacob! I will give it a go and report back :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects