Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal and clean bathroom tiles?

weekendwally
Just Starting Out

How to seal and clean bathroom tiles?

Hi all,

First time posting and seeking some advice on some tile work in the bathroom. I have included 3 images.

In image 1 the tile grout is cracking. Is there a way I can seal over the cracks without removing the existing grout? 

Image 1 wall tiles with cracks in groutImage 1 wall tiles with cracks in grout

Image 2 below 

• What could I use to glue the broken tile part back onto the tile and wall?
  • Would I be able to grout the gaps in the rest of the tiles without removing and reinserting the tiles? Given that the gap in the tile in the corner is quite large.

Image 2 wall tiles with gaps + broken tileImage 2 wall tiles with gaps + broken tile

In image 3 below, there has been grout/some sort of tile sealer slathered all over the tiles which is all dried up and hardened (the tiles are actually white like in image 1.)
What would be the best way to clean this off without damaging the tiles and grout lines that are already in the gaps?

Image 3 wall tiles with dried grout/tile filler over the tilesImage 3 wall tiles with dried grout/tile filler over the tiles

Thank you for your time

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal and clean bathroom tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @weekendwally. It's brilliant to have you join us and many thanks for your question about restoring bathroom tiles.

It looks like there are a few challenges with the existing tile work, but I'm happy to offer some guidance.

For the grout cracks in image 1, while it is possible to apply a grout sealant over the existing cracks, this would likely only be a temporary fix. The cracked grout suggests that there may be some underlying movement in the wall or tiles, and without addressing that, the cracks could reappear over time. Ideally, removing the cracked grout and reapplying fresh grout would provide a longer-lasting solution.

In image 2, for the broken tile, you can use a tile adhesive to carefully glue the piece back in place. Be sure to clean off any loose debris before applying the adhesive. However, given the size of the gaps, it might be a challenge to fill them effectively without removing and resetting the tiles. You could try using a wet area silicone, but the results might not be as seamless as you'd hope.

Regarding the dried grout/sealer in image 3, a grout haze remover could help you clean it off the tiles. It’s important to work gently to avoid damaging the tiles and any existing grout lines. A sponge and water, combined with a gentle grout-cleaning solution, might also do the trick.

Given the overall condition of the tile work, it may be worth considering whether spot repairs are the best long-term solution or if more extensive retiling might be needed down the line. However, I understand the importance of repairing the area and these fixes should help improve things in the short term.

The other option would be to remove the tiles entirely and replace them with either new tiles or a wet are panel like the Wall Art 1800 x 900 x 3mm Snow White Linear Wet Area Wall / Shower Panel.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to seal and clean bathroom tiles

Thank you Mitchell for your advice. I will get the products and give it a go.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects