Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace these taps?

alexi
Cultivating a Following

How to replace these taps?

hot and cold handles with cartridge stemshot and cold handles with cartridge stemsAn issue that has plagued us, is the cold water tap in our shower.

It's a heritage home, so we have brass handles, faucets and shower heads.

1st: The hot and cold taps are a different style. You can see that they have different depths

2nd: the cold tap cartridge stem (is that the right name), is worn down completely, which even when the handle is tightened with the hex grub, it only just functions in turning.

3rd: the cold water tap has likely a worn washer, which is causing us to have to turn extra hard to shut the water, which is only making #2 worst.

So my question(s) is/are:

* Which of these styles are more readily available?

* Can I replace just the stem?

* Is there a good source of these cross-bar handles in vintage style.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace these taps?

Hi @alexi 

1 It  was my understanding the different sizes could denote hot and cold ?

2 If it was my tap i would consider lightly drilling in to the shaft so the grub screw seats into  both metal peices. You  could always  use  tefon tap wrap it around handle attachment points and it will also help stop any wear wobble. You  can  always  try wrapping a little shim (thin copper material )  A little silicon be preform the same function.

2a There are spare tap spindles  at bunnings but no I can see  to suit directly the handle pattern,  but  that is ok as a square spindle the right size will go into a star hole.  but the important part is the get the depth of the spindle into the tap correct so the washer touches the seat.

3  Take your tap off (turn off the water first,) and take the spindles in to bunnings and get new washers seals  too. Replace the spindles if the handles fit and lock on.

4. given the age of the taps the seals could need a re honing (a round tool to clean valve seat (only  for the experianced.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace these taps?

Hi @alexi,

Your tap handles have a ridged spindle profile for stems. The stem on the left is the ridged profile, and the stem on the right is a flat-sided profile. This flat-sided profile is likely why the handle's ridged profile has been stripped out and is not gripping the spindle. Given that a brass ridged spindle would be reasonably difficult to come by and the fact that the handle is now stripped, I believe the easiest option (though potentially not exactly matching your other taps) is to replace the entire tap assemblies. Something like the Mondella Maestro Brass Wall Top Assembly Lever Handle could suit the aesthetics of your bathroom. I am unaware of any cross-handle brass taps that could replace your current set.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects