Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate timber floors?

grace001
Finding My Feet

How to renovate timber floors?

IMG_0226.jpeg

 This floor is part of our Queenslander home. Originally this back landing was somewhat outside the house however we have moved the back door to the top of the stairs and this area is now inside the house. We have ripped up the vinyl from the toilet area and have stripped back the paint seen in the photo. 

my question is, do I use a sort of decking oil on these boards or can I try my best to imitate the polish floor boards like the rest of the house with some other sort of lacquer?

please help!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Flooring Renovation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @grace001. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring timber floors.

Great job removing the paint, I'm sure that required a decent amount of elbow grease. 

You can attempt to try and match the coating on the adjacent boards, but due to the difference in products used you likely wont get a close match. These days, we typically use polyurethane floor coatings and I'd suggest an oil-based version, such as Cabot's 1L Cabothane Clear Satin CFP Floor Polyurethane, would be the closest match. There is the water-based version, which doesn't smell and is easier to clean up, but it generally doesn't change the colouring of the timber at all. Your older coating looks to have a bit of a honey hue to it, which the oil-based will align with better.

Here's the application guide for Cabots CFP.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Timber Flooring Renovation

Hi Mitchell 

thank you for your great advice! I used oil base as you suggested. Still need to do a second coat. 

Still more work ahead for the toilet room  

IMG_0332.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects