Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove taps?

Dan3
Just Starting Out

How to remove taps?

1000002652.jpg

1000002651.jpg

I can see a very small hole. Is this something I should turn or push something in?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove taps?

Hello @Dan3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your tap handle.

You are technically halfway there and are very close to removing the tap handle. The tap handle is stuck for some reason, it just appears that the fitting is very tight. I propose wiggling the rear end of the handle to see if it will come loose.

It might take some time so please be patient, you can also spray the top with WD40 to lubricate it further. The only thing originally holding the handle in place was the screw you have just removed. In essence the handle should come off by pulling it from the wall.

I also suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to remove a tap handle? by @Schmikell.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dan3
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the reply. So just to be clear, the tiny hole to the side of the spindle is nothing? All I need to do is pull? I only ask because people seem to think there's some sort of locking mechanism with that brass ring.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dan3,

This style of tap is retained on the spindle by the hot/cold button that is screwed onto it. Once the button is removed, the handle can be pulled straight off the spindle. To me, the hole you're seeing appears to be more like a defect in the handle casting.

If you're having difficulty removing the handles there's the Haron Tap Handle Puller that will assist.

Mitchell

Just wanted to check since both handles have matching holes. I have bought a tap puller so will give that a go.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dan3 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tap handles replaced.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dan3
Just Starting Out

Hi there, thank you for all your help an

1000002687.jpg

d advice. I ended up using the tap handle puller tool and it worked a charm.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dan3 

Thanks for the update. Just to let our members know that the tool used is called a Haron Tap Handle Puller. If you ever find yourself with a stuck handle this is the tool to use.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects