Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove tap base to access spindle?

Laozer
Just Starting Out

How to remove tap base to access spindle?

1000042534.jpg

Hi Team,

My hot water tap won't properly close and leaks for this sink. Trying to access the spindle. Can someone please advise how to open/loosen the tap's base?

Thank you.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove tap base to access spindle?

Hello @Laozer 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your basin tape are.

I propose using Haron 100mm Strap Wrench on the spindles cover base to turn it anti clockwise. Another option is to cover the spindle base with a thick rag and use a Craftright 250mm Multigrip Plier. Please note that the finish could get damaged if excessive force is used using the tool. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Laozer I agree on all suggestion points with @redracer01 If you go down the path of having to use multi-grips, then another type I have had good success with that has more leverage if you get a longer handle one is a Plumbers pipe wrench.

Multi-grips have more uses if you have to buy a pair over a pipe wrench and both will most likely cause damage to the fitting to get a decent grip. 

Pipe grip from one side due to the direction of the teeth. Just open the jaws slightly larger than the grip point (suggest in the middle). Flip the wrench over if its not gripping.

Good luck.

Nailbag

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Laozer,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

@redracer01 and @Nailbag's advice covers everything I would have suggested.

A good pair of multi-grips such as these IRWIN All Purpose Locking Groove Pliers alongside a thick rag should do the trick.

If you have any trouble or have any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Laozer 

Like the rest of the crew :smile: I have used a Haron 160mm Strap Wrench to remove my taps. They were locked on solid and in the end I also used multigrips as I decided to change over the taps themselves. They bases were scratched in the process so if you are thinking of reusing the ones you have id make sure you have a decently thick rubber between the jaws and your taps and just work slowly.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects