Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a hand basin waste?

Jimp1
Just Starting Out

How to install a hand basin waste?

snapped part still in basinsnapped part still in basinsnapped off threaded part from old basinsnapped off threaded part from old basin

how to install a new pop up waste drain in a new bathroom hand basin ? the original was a 32 x 80 mm pop up type and I will use the same with the replacement [ the original hand basin was Brocken and is now removed ] The original appeared to be set in silastic with a metal ring screwed over the threaded end, after the silastic had set ? However I am not confident that silastic is enough to set it in place ?

PS.

after further inspection of the removed pop up mechanism I suspect that the large retaining nut has been overtightened and snapped the threaded part off the part that fits into the basin. This is how I found it, covered with silastic The plumber has compensated by using a large amount of silastic. There have been no leaks [amazingly ?]

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a hand basin waste?

Hello @Jimp1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your hand basin waste. 

Since the bottom of the waste has been removed, I suspect that the only thing holding it in place is the top flange of the waste. Have a look at the top of the waste and see if it has been fixed with silicone. If it has, I suggest using Acetone to melt the hardened silicone. Apply some acetone on the flange and leave it on for a few minutes and once it starts to get soft wipe it off with a rag. 

However, if this method does not work out, my only other suggestion is to use a Trojan 300mm Mini Hack Saw to cut the remaining waste into smaller pieces. Please make sure to wear gloves, goggles and a dust mask when cutting the waste out of the sink. Please take extra care not to cut into the ceramic basin as this could cause it to crack and break. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects