Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a barn door in a non-standard bathroom?

DaniinMelbourne
Just Starting Out

How to install a barn door in a non-standard bathroom?

Hello! I am wanting to replace a standard door in my bathroom with a top mount barn door. It will close the bathroom when closed and cover (currently open) shelving when open. My issue is that I need to use an 870mm width door to cover the openings and the distance between the tiles and the wall where the track is going is 1900mm.  The track comes in 1830 and 2000mm widths. Should I use a short track and position the mounts in a way that the door will close but overhang the track by 35mm on each side or get a longer one and cut it? Can they be cut? This is the track https://www.bunnings.com.au/rolltrak-2000-x-40-x-6mm-matte-white-barn-door-track-top-mount_p0351977 there is also a 1830 length option available

Also, as both the openings to cover have trim, do I attach the track to said trims or to the masonry above?

My last question is about the door itself. I need a door that is approximately 2100mm tall. Can the Corinthian mdf doors be cut? Or should I just hang a 2340 door higher on the wall? This is the door https://www.bunnings.com.au/corinthian-2340-x-720-x-35mm-internal-door-primed-mdf-deco-4s_p008579620240626_195044.jpg

Any advice is much appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a barn door in a non-standard bathroom.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DaniinMelbourne. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a barn door.

I'd be looking at the larger track and not cutting it. You'll note that there are end stops on the rail that are not at the full 2000mm length. My concern is that if you use the shorter length, you'd need to place the guide very close together on the door, or you might run into an issue where, when opened, the door physically can't cover your opening before it hits the end stop. For the longer length, you'll see in these installation instructions that the brackets don't go the entire way to the end of the rail, so hopefully, the last bracket will be on your wall, and then the end of the rail will extend over the top of the tiles.

You'll need to fix the rail into the masonry, not the timber trim.

Doors can be cut down slightly, but by cutting it down that much, you'll expose the inner MDF core. I'd recommend mounting it higher on the wall, or using a solid-core door.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects