Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix shower niche trim flaking?

JamesT1
Finding My Feet

How to fix shower niche trim flaking?

Hi Community, 

I have had my ensuite renovated about 14 months ago. I have noticed some of the white aluminium trim that the tiller has used for the niche is starting to flake. It has gotten worse over the past couple of weeks, when moving items on and off the ledge. Could you someone please suggest an idea of what I can do ? A little frustrated, but I know replacing the trim is the last resort. 

IMG_1736.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix shower niche trim flaking?

Hi @JamesT1,

Many thanks for your question about repairing flaking tile trim.

I'd also like to extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community; it is fantastic to have you with us.

Ultimately the best way to fix this issue is to replace the trim, as you will have a new trim with a perfectly uniform surface. If this is not an option, my suggestion is to paint the trim. The only issue with this option is that colour-matching is very good, but it is not perfect, so there may be some small variation in the colour.

You should start by removing a section of the white coating from the trim that's around the size of a 10-cent coin to bring in-store for a colour match. While in-store, have the Paint Desk team member mix you a small batch of suitable colour-matched paint and pick up a can of Zinsser Undercoat Primer And Sealer Spray, UNi-PRO 10mm 3 Piece Touch Up Set and some painter's tape.

When home, clean the area thoroughly to remove any dust or debris that can reduce adhesion. Allow the area to dry before taping off to prevent over-spray. Once taped off, apply a coat of the primer following the manufacturer's instructions. Allow the primer to dry and then paint over with your colour-matched paint.

Transform Your Aluminium Window Frames is a great resource for guidance on painting aluminium.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I am more than happy to help.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects