Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix paint damage in door handle area?

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

How to fix paint damage in door handle area?

IMG_20220710_094640_1.jpg

IMG_20220710_094633_3.jpg

  

Please see image attached of the bathroom door handle. The paint is damaged probably because of using harsh chemicals to clean. How to fix this? It's rented place so we don't want to incur huge costs. It's a normal white painted wooden bathroom door in a granny flat. Any quick fix? Thanks 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: paint damage door handle area

Hey @Cattoos  thanks for posting on this one as well and welcome again to Workshop.

For the door to return to a nice smooth finish the door handle will need to be removed.

The surface of the door will need to be sanded down flat again by hand but preferably with an orbital sander as per below and any inlay trims sanded too.

The surface then painted with a primer surfacer as per below to make sure there are no reactions, roll the flat surface on and brush any trim in.

Then apply a 2 coats of water based enamel as per below, let dry over night and then reassemble the handle.

Unfortunately there isn't a quick fix on this one any scraping of the rough paint you will see the edge of it through the paint unless it was filled and sanded and you might as well sand the door back.

Carl

Screenshot_20220825-174851_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220825-175447_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220825-175802_Chrome.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Cattoos

It's fantastic that you've received in-depth advice from @CSParnell. Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend British Paints 2L White Low Sheen Interior Paint And Prime. It combines an undercoat and topcoat in one and requires no primer on most surfaces including bare plasterboard and previously painted walls, it also covers dark colours in just two coats.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Wow thanks. This looks like a big job. How much would this whole thing cost as I don't want the landlord to overcharge us or maybe we can get this done ourselves thru a professional?

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cattoos,

The cost for a repair like this would come down to the professional enlisted to do the job, as quotes can vary between individuals. You might like to get a quote for the repair yourself. You could present it to the landlord if it's a reasonable price. I'm sure they would appreciate you going the extra mile to get a quote and have the damage repaired.

Please let us know if you decide to complete this repair yourself, as I trust our members will be keen to assist as you do.

Mitchell

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Is this mould?

Please advise if this is due to mould (image attached)

IMG_20220710_094640_1.jpg

as I would like to ask landlord to fix it. Your thoughts. Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is this mould?

Hi @Cattoos

It appears you were on the money previously, as it looks like there is some type of chemical damage to the paint. I can't see that this has anything to do with mould, but it could be internal moisture in the door pushing the paint off. However, it looks very chemically to me; it's almost identical to the look you'd get after applying a paint stripper. I haven't seen those horizontal and vertical drag marks produced from moisture damage before. It looks like something quite caustic has been wiped over the paint.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects