Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix an corroded shower frame?

roximn
Finding My Feet

How to fix an corroded shower frame?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have noticed some erosion or general damage to the shower frame. I suspect its cause is contact with cleaning products but I’m not sure. I’ve tried scrubbing it with a brush and basic detergent but nothing works to clean it, so I think this needs a repair and cover-up. How do I go about this? PS some mould is visible on the tile itself which I’m addressing - it’s more the frame itself I’m unsure of.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix an eroded shower frame

Hi @roximn,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It looks like it has started to corrode/oxidise, however, I'm not 100% certain.

I'd suggest starting by soaking it with CLR, which is specifically designed to remove calcium, limescale and rust, then scrubbing it with a stiff-bristled brush such as this Sabco Bamboo All Purpose Heavy Duty Scrub.

If this is not effective, then it's likely that it has started to corrode which means you will need to sand back the area and recoat with spray paint to seal the aluminium.

I'd suggest grabbing some wet and dry sanding sheets, lightly wetting the area and sanding it back to remove any of the corroded material. 

Once sufficiently sanded, tape off the surrounding areas using painter’s masking tape to avoid over-spray. 

Once taped, apply a coat of Dulux Flat Metal Primer, allow it to dry, then apply 1-2 coats of Dulux Metallic Silver Spray Paint to seal.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects