Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust the top hinge of a door?

Stevelkt
Growing in Experience

How to adjust the top hinge of a door?

The top corner of my door to the loo is just a hair’s width away from scraping the jamb. The likely cause is the top hinge which has a wider gap than the bottom hinge. I checked the screws and they are all tight. The hinges are of a different type from the other doors and the pin goes in from the bottom instead of from the top.

How else can I reduce the gap at the top hinge so that the opposite end of the door will be pulled away from the jamb?

Thanks.

IMG_0589.jpegIMG_0590.jpegIMG_0591.jpegIMG_0592.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to adjust the top hinge of a door to the loo.

Hi @Stevelkt,

Your door is very close to the frame all around there, but some fine adjustment could even it out. My first question would be, is this causing any issues, and does it need to be fixed? Apart from the aesthetics, if the door is functioning correctly, then it might be worth leaving it alone. However, if you were to slightly shim out the bottom hinge or rebate the top hinge further into the frame, it would correct the issue. 

I would be undoing the bottom hinge from the frame whilst supporting the door, cutting a piece of cardboard to the same dimensions as the hinge plate and then reinstalling the hinge with the cardboard as a spacer. This will open the gap on the bottom left, close the gap slightly on the bottom right and, due to the door being effectively pushed to the right at the bottom, will open the gap on the top right and close it slightly on the top left. This can be done with one of two layers of cardboard. 

If these are timber frames, the same can be done by taking a chisel and removing some material from where the top hinge affixes, though this is a little more involved than the cardboard spacer trick. Using cardboard is something that tradespeople will do if called to solve this situation. A combination of these two methods can also be used.

If you're going to use a chisel to remove timber from the frame, wear appropriate PPE, including gloves and safety glasses and never place your hand in front of the chisel blade when cutting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Stevelkt
Growing in Experience

I appreciate your prompt and comprehensive reply, Mitchell. 

To answer your question, it is not causing any issues yet and I agree it’s wise to leave it alone as suggested. I don’t mind the aesthetics of it but it’s getting uncomfortably close and I will have to monitor it closely to prevent the paint from scraping off.

Once it touches the jamb, I will apply the cardboard trick. At the risk of sounding dumb, is the cardboard like something from a tissue box? And also by supporting the door do you mean like putting a wedge underneath?

My apologies for these simple questions but I am a senior who’s just starting out on DIY.

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No need to apologise @Stevelkt; we're here to assist.

It looks like you need at least a few millimetres for some breathing room, so I'd be using a cardboard box that products come in. There's plenty kept at the exit of your nearest Bunnings store. It will compress down once you do the screws up, providing more thickness than a tissue box. 

Supporting the door with a wedge or jamming something else of an appropriate size under it would work. A wooden spoon would likely be my go-to, as I don't have a wedge on hand. It's just to stop the door from dropping down and putting unwanted stress on the top hinge. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. 

Mitchell

Stevelkt
Growing in Experience

Much obliged for your assistance, Mitchell.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Stevelkt 

Please keep us in the loop. If the door finally leans over too much, let us know and we'll try and diagnose it even further.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects