Workshop
Ask a question

How to add a bathroom and toilet?

cinthia
Just Starting Out

How to add a bathroom and toilet?

IMG_1775.jpeg

 I like to add more bathroom and a toilet to this house. Any idea. 
thanks 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add more bathroom witj toilet

Hi @cinthia,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

I suppose for you to add a bathroom with a toilet, you will have to forego something else in the home or add an extension to the property.

There isn't a great deal of space with which you could adjust the layout of the rooms to allow for another bathroom. I suppose the garage could be reduced to accommodate a bathroom, but that would mean you'd lose a car space. 

Was there anything within this home that you were willing to live without?

The next thought I have is that you'd need to assess the feasibility of retrofitting the plumbing required for an additional bathroom.

Is the house on a concrete slab? Or is it raised with a crawl space beneath?

It might be worth contacting a plumber during the planning stage for their professional advice on the feasibility and costs involved.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas @TedBear, @Herrenovacation, @Dave-1, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @cinthia I would agree with @JacobZ that the size of the home isn't going to be a viable option to add another bathroom without sacrificing existing space, unless if course your could extend off the rear of the home. Changing the existing home from a 3 bed, 1 bath to a 2 bed 2 bath in my opinion would devalue the property.

Building off the back for a new WIR and master ensuite would be the best option of feasible. Otherwise using the existing space, then the bathroom, seperate toilet and linen closest could be combined to be a new single master 2-way bathroom with more space due to the loss of a couple internal walls. Then either install a free-standing bath giving the feel of a more open space or lose the tub for a much needed bigger vanity and walk in shower.

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @cinthia 

I would put my vote down to reducing the size of the garage, tho as @JacobZ suggests thats a loss  of a parking spot. I do like @Nailbag 's reusing the walk in wardrobe area.

Having a look at the plan, if you are just afetr increasing the total number of bathrooms/toilets in the house I wonder if you refitted the existing bathrrom, walk in wardrobe and toilet area into seperate rooms? Right down to having a toilet availability in the laundry? You would have to loose the bath and have a shower stall tho.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects