Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How should I make this concrete block wall look better?

Nesian
Getting Established

How should I make this concrete block wall look better?

Hi,

I have a single concrete block back wall which is in our toilet. It's from a 1970's house and of all things it was covered with carpet (the parts in the photos that look like mould are in fact the remnants of the blue carpet). I have since removed the carpet but the surface is very rough. Someone also mentioned that it might be worth getting it asbestos tested as the glue used might contain some? I was hoping for some advice on how to make this wall look good. Do I cover it with gib or mdf or something like that? If so, what would be the best way to do it?

Thanking you.453431018_1208074363664102_8381331694985704801_n.jpg453430784_1208074316997440_6788586802869533105_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How should I make this concrete block wall look better?

Hi @Nesian,

You could use Gyprock CSR 20kg Hardwall Plaster. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to hard plaster a brick wall.

Be advised that it will take considerably more work to get a reasonable finish on a hard plaster wall than to sheet it with a plasterboard. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nesian
Getting Established

Hi @Nailbag ,

Thanks for your input.

Did you have to seal the bricks with anything before adhering the plasterboard to the wall? Also, what did adhesive did you use to stick the plasterboard to the wall?

Thanks,
Terry

Nesian
Getting Established

@MitchellMc 

Thank you. At least I know what product I need now if I end up going down that route.

Cheers

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Nesian it would have been a similar product to the one @JacobZ mentioned. My bricks were e clean so no other prep was required. You may need a concrete sealant/primer on yours first to allow the adhesive to stick to it like Bondcrete. There are a few different products that Bunnings have in stock, but this link explains how they work to help select the right one.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects