Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove theses tap handles?

LisaD
Finding My Feet

How do I remove theses tap handles?

image.jpg

Hi I’m just wondering how to remove these tap handles. Thanks for your help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove theses tap handles?

Hello @Chrissy15 

Thanks for sharing your question about your tap handles. I'm afraid @Noyade's recommendation is the best way to remove your spindles. The conical flange must be removed and lifted so that you'll have access to the basin spindle itself. The hidden screw system is totally locked in with calcium deposits and will be impossible to remove.

Unfortunately, all three parts will need to be replaced, I propose having a look at the Shaw & Mason Chrome Easy Clean Basin Top Assembly. This includes the cover flange, spindle and handle. I recommend visiting your local store so that you can see the styles available.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Chrissy15
Growing in Experience

Hi Noyade

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my problem.

Both taps are the same. They were put on 11 years ago and now one is dripping - hence trying to change the washer. But I’ve never come across these types of taps and was scratching my head as to how to get the handle off. Yep, you’re probably correct that the underneath has been calcified ( I like your analogy of the dentist!) I was trying to give it a bit of a clean up and trying to see the two slots, but couldn’t see them.

I will give your idea of trying to get the flange up to get to the spindle.

Thanks for your advice.

PS Now to work on my bath spout that I tried to remove and has now “snapped” off whilst trying to replace it. I’m having a bonza of a day with the plumbing hahahaimage.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Chrissy15 

It appears you are having a field day with plumbing. I suggest using a Craftright 250mm Multigrip Plier to hold onto the remaining flange of the spout. since it's already broken there is no need to worry about damaging it. Adjust the multigrip until it grips the flange snugly, then slowly turn anticlockwise until it comes loose.

As a replacement piece, I propose having a look at the Shaw & Mason Chrome Deluxe Bath Spout. Please don't forget to use Kinetic 12mm x 10m White Standard Thread Seal on all threaded surfaces.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

@Chrissy15 

"I’m having a bonza of a day with the plumbing"

Dear oh dear. Yes, I do believe we all have those days one time or another.

I heartily recommend @EricL's multi-grip recommendation. Sometimes though, multi-grips hate grasping polished chrome. If so, may I suggest another tool - a self-tightening pipe-wrench. Spring loaded (so loaded in fact I struggled to hold it open to take the photo with my nose!) so that you can control the handle better without worrying about any 'squeezing' pressure.

Just a thought.

Looking forward to seeing something positive before the sun sets!

Cheers.

20240711_143711.jpg

Hello there

I have one of these taps in my laundry and the tap just fell off on its own (I assume it was loose). My dilemma is I do not know how to put the tap handle back on now and two other smaller parts came out - the screw under the handle, and another horse-shoe-like bolt. I have attached a photo of it below. 

Can you please tell me how to assemble everything back (I do not know where to put everything especially that horseshoe screw, and what I need to screw it back on?

Thank you in advance!tap.jpg

Hi @globetrotter24,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'd suggest having a read through my colleague @EricL's advice on Solved: How to remove leaking laundry tap handles.

You will see he has given a step-by-step guide and created a render demonstrating the order and location of each individual part.

The information provided should be enough to get everything back together, but if you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out, we're more than happy to help further if required.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects