Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Homecraft Satin Nickel Privacy Leverset Caannot open from outside. Latch Broken

John107
Just Starting Out

Homecraft Satin Nickel Privacy Leverset Caannot open from outside. Latch Broken

Cannot open door from outside latch broken does not turn

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Homecraft Satin Nickel Privacy Leverset Caannot open from outside. Latch Broken

Hi @John107,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

Do you have access to the side of the door handle with the locking mechanism? Are you currently locked out of the room?

Your approach will differ depending on the circumstances so any additional details you can provide would be handy.

Some photos would also help. Let me know if you need a hand uploading them, I'm happy to help if required.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Homecraft Satin Nickel Privacy Leverset Caannot open from outside. Latch Broken

Hi @John107,

I haven't got access to the drawings for this particular handle so the following advice is general in nature.

Most privacy locks have a small hole or slot on the exterior knob or lever designed for emergency access. Insert a flathead screwdriver, a small allen key, or even an unfolded paper clip into this hole, then push or turn it until you feel it engage. A bit of further pressure should release the lock and allow the door to open.

If there’s no emergency release hole, check for visible screws on the exterior side of the knob or lever. Remove them using a screwdriver. In some cases, you may need to pry off a decorative cover to reveal hidden screws. Once the screws are removed, the knob or lever can often be taken off, allowing you access to the lock mechanism inside.

If the door has a bit of give between it and the frame, try using a credit card or another sturdy, flat object to slide between the latch and the frame. Applying steady pressure against the latch might pop it out of place. This technique works best on doors with a beveled latch. 

If these methods don’t work, consulting a locksmith might be necessary.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects