Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cover plate won't fit after tiling

Adam123
Just Starting Out

Cover plate won't fit after tiling

Hi

I've recently had the laundry tiled and now I can't fit the cover plate as there's less length on the spindle. The washing machine taps need to be screwed all the way in so they don't leak. (please see photo below)

Are there other sets of washing machine taps I could use instead?

Thank you

Adam

IMG_3669.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cover plate won't fit after tiling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Adam123. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cover plates.

Unfortunately, when adding tiles, the plumbing fixtures need to be adjusted to suit the additional thickness. In your case, it sounds like they needed to be extended by 5-10mm. If you haven't already, you could try a flat cover plate.

How much thread is exposed? Wall taps don't need to be screwed all the way on to seal, but they do need to screw on enough revolutions to be secure. The thread tape is what seals leaks. However, if there were only 5mm or so of thread exposed, then the tap would likely need to be screwed all the way on. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for the response. As seen in the photo, that's how much the taps needs to be screwed into the wall for it not to leak. I have used thread tape as well. There's enough thread to screw the tap through the tile and into the wall. Just no room for a cover plate as it prevents the tap from screwing in enough.

Thanks

Adam

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It sounds like only a tiny amount of thread is exposed in front of the tile @Adam123. If that's the case, then there are no other types of taps I can think of that would accommodate a cover plate and still be able to be screwed on.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchel, is there something I can use to extend the thread?

Could I use something like this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/brasshards-15mm-brass-male-female-threaded-adaptor_p0260372?store=2206&g...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That would extend the pipe, but you might run into the issue of the cover plate having difficulty covering the adaptor, @Adam123. Cover plates are designed to go over threaded pipe, not adaptors. It could be worth a go, though.

Mitchell

Might be my only option, so I'll give it a go.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects