Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Caroma cistern

Newbie75
Growing in Experience

Caroma cistern

Hi There

Caroma cistern makes a flushing sound for 3-4 seconds after every hour or so,no obvious water leaking in the pan around or under the toilet.Is it normal on the  inlet valve to drip on the top inside the cistern.Do I need to change inlet valve or outlet valve(no water leaking in the pan) kind of confused changing the flap flush valve or inlet valve.Please recommend a budget friendly solution if I need to change caroma inlet valve from Bunnings, Pictures attached with arrow where its drips.

20240703_154158.jpg

Advice will be much

20240704_130948.jpg

appreciated.Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Caroma cistern

Hello @Newbie75 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Caroma inlet valve. If your toilet is flushing by itself every hour or so, odds are your inlet valve head seal has deteriorated and is allowing water through. This effectively creates an overflow situation in your cistern and the excess water passes through the overflow hole of the flushing valve. Thus, creating that flushing sound you hear.  

I suggest using the FIX-A-LOO Inlet Valve Headseal Washer, as it's compatible with Caroma inlet valves. At this point in time, I believe your flushing valve is still in good order and there is no need to replace it. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how to replace your head seal.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newbie75
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your advice.

I  changed the headseal but water keeps dripping and cistern started overfilling.

Is there any specific way to fit Headseal,although it seemed pretty much straightforward.

is this anything to do with the float adjustment screw?

For now i changed to original headseal and cistern stopped overfilling.

not sure what I should do :smile:

Please advice, Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newbie75,

With a new seal and the float adjusted correctly, the water should shut off when it reaches the determined height. If, once you fitted the new seal the cistern overfilled, it sounds like the float is not adjusted correctly. I'd play around with the float adjustment screw to see if you can get the water to shut off sooner.

If you have no success, the inlet valve might have failed somehow. In that case, I'd recommend replacing it with a Fluidmaster Bottom Entry Toilet Inlet Valve.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Newbie75 

I have had a caroma cistern for awhile... I have replaced washes on them but when I couldnt solve the "squishhhhhh" chunk sound every hr or so (water was still coming in so slowly) I ended up switching over to a new unit and the issue disappeared 😕 to have to replace it but peace of mind had started to be a priority. No adjusting I could do would stop ythat ever so slow filling.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Newbie75 

I'm so sorry to hear that the replacement part did not work. It might be necessary to turn the head seal until it sits in properly into the filling valve. But if it fails and still continues to leak, it might be necessary for you to bring your original head seal to the store and compare it to the Kinetic Inlet Valve Headseal. This is to make sure that they are at the same height.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Newbie75
Growing in Experience

Ok Thank you for your helpful advice,will try this :smile:

Newbie75
Growing in Experience

Yeah same here,trying to fix this at the moment as per useful advice here 👍  hopefully it works out for me.

Newbie75
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric for your help on this issue.I will try as you advised:)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects