Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you replace Mondelllo Maestro 1/4 shower tap spindles?

Jojoyumyums
Finding My Feet

Can you replace Mondelllo Maestro 1/4 shower tap spindles?

Hi, my shower head is leaking and a plumber told me that you can’t replace mondello maestro shower tap spindles so I might need to buy new taps. Is that actually correct?

Seems odd that you can’t replace a simple spindle if they start leaking. Is not very sustainable.

Thanks,

Jo

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you replace Mondelllo Maestro 1/4 shower tap spindles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jojoyumyums. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing tap spindles.

The tap spindles in the Mondella Maestro are replaceable. This might be a case of the plumber being unable to source a suitable spindle. We carry the Shaw & Mason 1/4 Turn Clockwise Chrome Plate Ceramic Disc Wall Spindle in-store, which I presume will suit unless the plumber has already tried it and has run into an issue. We can also order spare parts from Mondella. So, if you see the helpful team at your local store's Special Orders counter, they can place an enquiry with Mondella to order a replacement spindle.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. Actually, I was told given the taps are only a few years  old that ceramic spindles should last much longer. I bought these taps to avoid having to replace washers but it seems that it will be way more expensive to replace spindles and needing a plumber. Plus, I’m worried if the other tap goes on me then I’ll need to call the plumber again. It seems cheaper to replace the whole tap set!! Given all this, I’m seriously thinking of going back to normal taps with washers as it will be cheaper in the long run. What are your thoughts here? Jo

I would expect to get more than a three-year lifespan from them, @Jojoyumyums. Typically, they should last several years, and people do not wish to return to standard taps as the ceramic spindles last sufficiently. I installed ceramic disc spindles around ten years ago and haven't had any issues.

It sounds like you might have just had one that has worn prematurely and failed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.

I'm not sure whether it's the Mondella taps in particular given their price point or otherwise. It may also be the installation as they weren't installed by a plumber initially.

Anyhow, I'll stick to these taps given your advice and hopefully they Iast longer next time round!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects