Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you tile on water-based paint?

smittyboi
Growing in Experience

Can you tile on water-based paint?

Have recently renovated my house, bench top goes in within the next week and I'm then wanting to tile a splash back in the kitchen, I have just recently painted the whole house including the kitchen where the splash back will sit. My question is can I tile over the waterbased paint or am I gonna have to remove all of what's just been painted in the area?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you tile on waterbased paint

Hello @smittyboi 

The good news is yes, you can tile over your painted wall. But before you begin, I recommend sanding it down first with Flexovit 115mm x 1m 120 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll - 120 Grit. The purpose of sanding the wall is to rough up the surface. This will give the tile adhesive a good base to anchor onto.

It's not necessary to sand all of the paint off, it just needs to be very rough. Once you've sanded it down, make sure to wipe off all the sanding dust on the wall before you begin tiling. If you find that your sandpaper gets gummed up quickly. I suggest giving the painted wall several more days to cure so that the paint hardens.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects