Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build custom overhead garage shelving?

D007
Finding My Feet

How to build custom overhead garage shelving?

Hello community 

I am looking to install a few overhead storage shelves in my Brick walled garage. I saw this item at bunnings: 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-410-x-1140-x-515mm-wall-mount-storage-shelf_p2760334?store=6390...

My question is, could I make my own shelves which would be able to host similar weight (the shelf above states 60kg) 
The reason is I have a pretty big wall where I want the shelves, I could purchase 2 of the above shelves but could not fit a 3rd in. If i custom made I can fit the entire wall (and hoping it would be cheaper!) 

Also I have a conduit on one of the walls, a custom shelve will allow but to cut 15m hole to fit around the conduit nicely. 

Questions: 

(1) Which material from Bunnings would I need to buy for the actual shelve 

(2) which brackets would be suited. 

note some of these shelves will be above the car bonnet, so i am very keen to have a proper structural shelve! 

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build custom overhead garage shelving?

Hello @D007 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about overhead garage shelving.

Sixty kilograms is a lot of weight for a shelf to carry. Not to mention that the shelf anchors must be strong enough to hold this weight as well. To put it into perspective, the shelf must be able to hold the weight of a back to wall toilet suite, plus another pan.     

However, if the weight you'll be putting will be spread out, the shelf should be able to hold the weight. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Heavy duty garage shelving by @jthurley. But before you start building, I recommend drawing your plan on paper and consulting a builder regarding its assembly. It would also be a good time to ask about what anchoring method you should use on your wall.

Here are some shelving projects our workshop members, have shared:

In regards to the materials, I suggest using Carinya 400 x 350 x 30 x 4mm Heavy Duty Stayed Twisted Bracket - single - galvanised in combination with 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m for shelf framing. 

I recommend using SpecRite 1800 x 1200mm 17mm Formply F17 for the shelf surface. To anchor the brackets to the wall I propose using Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus along with Ramset 10 x 100mm Galvanised AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor and Ramset Multifit Sieve.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
D007
Finding My Feet

Thank's Eric for your reply - I appreciate you taking the time out. 

A few questions/comments from my side, I agree 60kgs is a lot of weight. 

(1) from the Bunnings product I listed, that says it holds 60kgs and the brackets look very thin. Is the product description accurate? 

Wall Mount Storage Shelf I would hate to buy and it doesn't hold that much weight

(2) Instead of buying I thought of building then I can customise the shelves' length and fit it around any fixtures in the garage. 

I have also attached a picture of my garage for reference

Shelf.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @D007 

The Wall Mount Storage Shelf is rated to carry 60kg. But you have to keep in mind that the wall mounting anchors need to be super reliable. Even if it the shelf is rated for 60kg. If the wall anchors fail, it will all come tumbling down.

Building it yourself is a project worth exploring. You can build it out of timber as I mentioned earlier in my post or in combination with heavy duty angle brackets. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Heavy duty garage shelving by @jthurley. Just out of curiosity what heavy items were you planning on storing in the shelves? 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

D007
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric 

So to clarify, the Wall Mlunted Shelf comes with wall alchors and brackets as part of the package? I assumed as it come with the bracket it would be suitable upto 60kg. As you say if the brackets are not good the whole thing comes down 

In reality, it will not be that heavy. Just a few storage boxes of junk that don't need every day access. We're talking old cables, Christmas decor etc. Maybe all up it will be around 15kg

Thanks for the links, Il check out the other projects

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @D007 

Just for clarification if the Wall Mounted Shelf is not screwed or anchored on properly to the wall, then it will not work properly. According to the assembly instructions, it comes with screws and wall plugs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

D007
Finding My Feet

Thanks @EricL the instructions also show some brackets.

You have given me lots of ideas...i will head down to my local shop to see what is available  from a DIY perspective 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects