Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay floorboards in bathroom?

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

How to lay floorboards in bathroom?

Howdy Team,

My bathroom is still work in progress, and I am stuck.

I have floorboards, 1 x box left from when the rest of the house was done. Also I bought self adhesive with same pattern.

I dont know how to proceed?

Floor is concrete - Do I need floor glue?  Will silicone do?

I have a hand saw - But am worried I wont correctly - I dont want to waste boards

Shall I do the entire room with self adhesive? (Senso 914 x 184 x 2mm 2.69m² Noyer Natural Self Adhesive Vinyl Planks - 16 pack)

Under the nook I've laid the self adhesive (not yet cut to size)

And in the forefront are the floorboards (which are in the rest of the house)

I look forward to your instructions / advice / tips?

IMG_0434 - floorboards & self-adhesive-.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom flooring question.

Hi @Minitots101,

Before we get into the flooring, can I ask if the bathroom floor has been waterproofed? Waterproofing is essential in a bathroom; now would be the time to install it. I'd recommend you consult with a professional waterproofer on the next steps.

What type of floorboards are these? That will dictate their installation method. If these are Hybrid vinyl planks, no adhesive is required. Solid timber flooring would need an adhesive like Sika 16kg Ochre SikaBond T55 (J) Timber Floor Adhesive.

This is the time to pause your flooring and get the waterproofing sorted. Without it, you'd be compromising your home insurance and potentially the resale value of your home.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the feedback Mitchell - I have paused my flooring project - whilst doing research on "How To lay vinyl floors", I did come across heaps of info. on waterproofing bathroom first. I did not proceed till I got some feedback from the Bunnings team 😀 - Now I'll watch the Bunnings "how to waterproof bathroom"  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmrFUgI1C58   &   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og55k_srQU8

I will use Vinly planks, because i dont have enough of the timber floorboards -  I researched if "I can use vinyl in a bathroom", and tmant answers show it is an "ideal option for dealing with even high-use bathroom conditions" - also that, "Vinyl flooring is a better choice in high-moisture environments than laminate flooring".

Question;- Can I use Concrete Sealer before a Waterproofing membrance surface Primer Or do I use both?

Please Advise;- What brand of Membrane to use on wall and floor? - Then I can paint over the membrane with Dunlop Express Wet Area Waterproofing paint  -  Please confirm?

Cheers 😃

Hi @Minitots101,

I can recommend the Dunlop 20kg Pro Rapid Waterproof Membrane. You should apply Dunlop 1L Primer And Additive to the concrete prior to the membrane, and then all corners require the Dunlop 10m Express Wet Area Waterproofing Tape. I've added the application video below.

Please check with your local regulatory body and insurance provider to determine whether a licensed waterproofer is required for this work.

Mitchell

Hey Mitchell, your words of wisdom to Prime & Waterproof worked wonders!! (naturally they would) 😊 - I have done 2 coats of Priming and 2 coats of waterproofing - gave both agents 48hrs each coat to dry  -  Now for the next step🙌

(Ps...  I spoke to a Bunnings fellow about the waterproofing agent - long story short - he called Crommelin to ask if I could use the "exterior grade waterproofing 1 litre" for indoor concrete substrate - Crommelin rep said "yes it is safe to use indoors / bathroom on floor and wall")

2nd coat of Crommelin Primer2nd coat of Crommelin PrimerIMG_0469-1st coat PRIME on concrete...PNGPrimerPrimerIMG_0495-Crommelin-agent.JPGIMG_0496 - Waterproofing.JPG

That's great to hear @Minitots101! Well done.

I can't wait to see the transformation once you've installed the vinyl flooring. Keep us updated!

Mitchell

Hey Mitchell, Bathroom is still work in progress - But I think I've made good strides so far🙌 - the floor planks have been layed down now - after last weeks priming and waterproofing - this weekend weather was perfect for completing the vinyl planks.  But its still work in progress, with the final touch being a bench I am making😊.   The overall look is exactly the amount of space I envsioned for my bathroom🙌  https://www.youtube.com/shorts/yCO7RgC4tcU  &   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHSxyWZHTUc   &  making a small bench as my finalè  -  https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LzlRCkkHikk 
the start of laying the vinyl planksthe start of laying the vinyl planks...completed...completed(flip it right side up) - completed(flip it right side up) - completedIMG_0588.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Minitots101 

Thank you so much for the update. Your bathroom flooring looks fantastic! I saw the videos and it looks awesome. I'm sure our members are very keen to see the final reveal when you 've installed your small bench.

Eric

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

Thank you Eric - your words are very Encouraging!! - I've had such fun doing this - I never thought I would reach to this stage - But I did it!!🙌 - Yes, I am keen to show off my new bench👐 - once I've completed the entire process...

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

Bathroom.png

Successfully Completed my project (as a non-tradie - merely a happy enthusiast 😊)

Pt 1 

Pt 2

Pt 3

Pt 4

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects